[TYPO3-dev] GIT for "normal" (TortoiseGIT-) users

Stefan Geith typo3dev2010.nospam1 at geithware.de
Tue Mar 8 11:52:30 CET 2011

Hi Devs,

seems, that this GIT-Stuff is more complicated for me
than I thought it would be ... so I would be happy to
get some help for my first steps:

No RFCs, no reviewing - simply 'listening'
to changes in Typo3 for the first time...

- I have setup TortoiseGIT on my Windows and
   have cloned git://git.typo3.org/TYPO3v4/Core.git
   successfully
- I have switched to remotes/origin/TYPO3_4-5
   (git.exe checkout  --track  remotes/origin/TYPO3_4-5)
   successfully

Question 1:
If I simply want to follow the changes of 4.5.x-dev
I only have to "Git Sync" ? Or is it "Git pull" ?

Question 2:
When I modify the 4.5 sources locally:
What do I have to do ? I think "Git Commit" - right ?
Something else ? At least: I do not have to
do a "Git push" - right ?
(If I understand right, then I would have to push
to Gerrit and create a RFC, if I think my changes are
worth to make it to the core...)

Question 3:
Until now, I used SVN. My local copy is still at
Rev. 10669, the latest version of
https://svn.typo3.org/TYPO3v4/Core/branches/TYPO3_4-5
But I have applied there many patches and changes.
How do I get my local (svn-) changes to the git clone ?
I already created a patch of all changes via TortoiseSVN,
but I can't find a way to apply this patch to the
Git clone ...

Thanks for your help - and your patience ;)
/Stefan