[TYPO3-dev] TYPO3 4.x html templating good practice question

Ivano Luberti luberti at archicoop.it
Mon Jun 27 10:50:46 CEST 2011

Hello all, I have a question about good practice in using the HTML
template inside an extension.
I'm developing an extension (myExt) that extends another extension E1
that has an own template used to display content by one of its plugins.
I have to add to that content some custom content.

I can use a hook in this extension that provides an instance of the
whole plugin and therefore I can access the template used by E1 and
modify the content.
However the content to be displayed by myExt would require its own template.

I wonder which is the best practice in this situation:

1) modify E1 template, extending the original provided by E1, configure
E1 to use it and then use my custom markers in myExt

2) providing a separate template and integrate the content generated
from it into the E1 template

If 2) is the best option, how can I load the template in myExt: when you
develop a plugin you have the main method with the conf parameter
already populated.
But in this case?

dott. Ivano Mario Luberti
Sede Operativa