[TYPO3-dev] gray hair with git ...

Steffen Gebert steffen.gebert at typo3.org
Thu Jun 23 17:27:10 CEST 2011

On 22.06.11 15:52, Kay Strobach wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is it normal that all submodules get lost on a new checkout?

I also don't think so. You only have to update the submodules (git
submodule update), if you're changing to a working tree, where the
submodule pointer differs (an older/newer commit or a different
*release* branch).

The information you added to the wiki was in principle not false, but as
it was not related to the current task (creating a new branch), I
removed it again.

When you switch into a new branch based on the current branch it's
already too late. The problem occurs (as pointed out above) only when
you switch to a state, where submodule pointers differ.

Nevertheless, I hope I can find a better place to add this information
to the tutorial.

Most of use use single repositories for every release, so we aren't so
frequently affected by this problem. However, I created the following
alias, which directly updates the submodules after checking out:

co = "!git checkout $1; git submodule update --init; #"

Kind regards
Steffen

--
Steffen Gebert