[TYPO3-dev] Flexforms overriding TS in Extbase Extensions

Alexander Stehlik alexander.stehlik at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 16 20:20:54 CEST 2011

Here are my 2 cents to this topic.

I'm not sure if it will be possible to display the ts settings in the
flexform, as you already pointed out this is for frontend use.

But what I could image: You specify default values for the flexform,
that can of course be the same as in your setup ts. When saving the
flexform TYPO3 needs to check, if the values have changed or if they are
equal to the default configuration. If they are equal to the default
config, an empty value will be stored.

When it comes to merging flexform and setup ts data it should be
sufficient to overwrite setup ts values with non-empty flexform values.
If you really need to overwrite something with an empty value you can do
that programatically by adding a single checkbox to your form for this
particular case that needs to be checked by the editor. But in most of
the cases you probably won't need this.

What are the advantages of this behaviour?

1. You are flexible.
You can either use the merging mechanism of TYPO3 or use your own by
simply using different names in your setup ts and in the flexform.

2. setup ts updates are easy
If you change something in your setup ts it will only be overwritten if
the editor really changed the value in the plugin configuration. If he
didn't change it the new value will be used immediately. If you would
store the default values of the flexform in the database you would need
to update every single plugin.

Kind regards,
Alex