[TYPO3-dev] Globally installed extensions

Thomas "Thasmo" Deinhamer thasmo at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 07:56:51 CEST 2011

Peter Niederlag wrote:
> Actually in theory it makes pretty much sense when you use one source
> for many sites/installations. The drawback is though that updating the
> ext happens at one time for all installations, which *could* require a
> DB-scheme update or introduce breaking changes. That's why I don't use
> it and haven't really seen anyone use it yet.

To shed some more light on this topic; the DB update seems to be
the only real blocker for using globally installed extensions, no?

Everything else should be an advantage, because it would just
be possible to update a minor extension version like I would
update a minor TYPO3 version; if there are no DB updates.

The only thing which makes more work, would be to copy those
global extension even on minor TYPO3 updates to the new directory.

So, would it probably make sense to install global extensions
which don't use any database at all? When updating those extensions
in the TYPO3 source, I could be sure no DB changes will occur.

Are there any other disadvantages code-wise? I mean, I have no
clue how system extensions are loaded/processed compared to
local extensions. Are there any differences? Would I need to
have certain code parts (directory pathes, etc.) to take
special care of?

Wondering how you would update extensions with security or
important updates for, let's say, some dozen projects?!

Regards,
Thomas