[TYPO3-dev] TYPO3 and svn

Loek Hilgersom loek at netcoop.nl
Thu Jun 9 13:08:57 CEST 2011

Hi Frank and others,

It could be worth having a look at git. Git stores all changes in 1 .git
directory on the root-level of your project, so you can update
extensions using EM without any issues. We use git to store entire
projects, starting one level up from the site-root. This has the
advantage that you there is no .git inside the site-root, and the
repository also has place for things you don't want to have in the
site-root (we store things like different server configurations,
dev-data sets and deployment scripts in there).

Having .git one level above the site root means you could also use it on
the production server (we don't yet, but I do see some advantages like
those mentioned in this thread).

Anyway, having worked with git for a few months now I am not going back
to svn anymore. It's definately an upgrade especially if you're working
in teams and using multiple branches etc.

Cheers,
Loek