[TYPO3-dev] The future of Bug Days

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Sat Jul 30 11:44:26 CEST 2011

Hi all,

> Consider this a brainstorming, come out with what you like and don't
> like, and with any ideas that you have, even wild ones. Please refrain
> from criticizing ideas, every input is valuable in a brainstorming phase.

Here's a summary of the discussion so far, with all the ideas and
problems that were floated. Please comment - especially the ideas and
possible solutions. There are lots of them and we probably won't be able
to implement them all, so we should try to sort out the most favorable ones.

Goal of the Bug Days:
(Note: should be defined more clearly. Is it one or more of the
possibilities listed below?)

- getting things done
- initiation into TYPO3 development/bug fixing
- having Core Team members available => quickens the resolution

Real-life meetings:

- deemed a good idea but how useful are they?
- probably nice, but practical only in larger cities
- take advantage of events, e.g. TYPO3 Camps (especially good for
newcomers), local TUG meetings

Period/Duration:

- less often, but longer OR more often, but shorter
(Note: "less but longer" might be less than once a month, but a full
week-end, like we are currently experimenting. "More but shorter would
be a couple of core team members getting together (virtually or
physically) and inviting others to join them on bug fixing for an
evening or an afternoon, with little prior notice).

Preparation:

- a list of bugs could be prepared so that work is more focused (could
be a task for the Bug Manager, could be based on a discussion in the
Core list)
- ask companies about bugs that really affect them and maybe get them to
sponsor the bug fix in some way (money, meeting place, etc.)

Problems:

- routine gets boring
- day should change so that it's not always Friday
(Note: this points back to the period/duration issue. OTOH it could be
also initiating a Doodle and picking a favorable date).
- learning and using Git/Gerrit is harder, it may have turned some
people away (but also gained some new ones)
(Note: this seems to be a big issue for some people, maybe we need
better tutorials, screencasts, or whatever).
- Forge bug tracker is harder to find than Mantis was

Other suggestions:

- use Big Blue Button instead of IRC (allows for "voice" too, chat is
not lost)
- use of social media to attract more participants
- find some reward system (swag, ranking, event discount, etc.)
- enable Git-less people to contribute (would it be possible to download
a patch from Gerrit?)
- list companies that support Bug Days, by hosting a meeting or - more
particularly - by giving the day to their developers
- have "mentors" available during the day
- have days which are really focus on a particular, restricted topic
(e.g. Extension Manager) with the core team members the most
knowledgeable in the area guaranteed to be available

Let the discussion continue!

--

Francois Suter