[TYPO3-dev] Creating a new Category (besides web, user, admin, ...) for a BE-Module

Thomas F. thomas.fricke at werkraum.net
Tue Jul 12 16:02:20 CEST 2011

Hello list,

i've got a question. The situation is: i'm programming an Extbase
extension (a backend module making tt_news and directmail work together
and adding some own functionality), which works quite well (thanks to
the Extbase team!).

But we need the module to appear in its own category; not under "Web",
"Admin", "Tools" or whatsoever.
I've taken a good look around (i suppose) and tried adapting the old
TYPO3-behavior to my Extbase extension, meaning i tried using the
ext_tables.php t3lib_extMgm::addModule-Function. But the problem - as i
soon discovered - seems to be that this is just not adaptable (as the
addModule()-function uses the module's path inside the extension as a
parameter... but in Extbase there just is no such path).

So my next approach was to have a look whether there are any extensions
built using Extbase as a dependency, hoping to find at least one which
creates a new module category. So i went on and searched, but there was
none (at least i didn't find any).

And now my question is: is this kind of functionality just not
implemented or probably not intended? If not (as i desperately hope), is
there anyone out there who might puke me into the right direction?

Thanks and
---
Best regards/viele Grüße,
thomas fricke