[TYPO3-dev] What is settings in extension manager for?

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Fri Jul 8 13:49:16 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 8-7-2011 10:19, Rayuth You wrote:
> I am a newbie typo3 and try to look through typo3 back-end.
> I go to extension manager and in drop down menu I choose settings.
>
> Could you tell me or give me the link what settings is for?

The settings page has nice descriptions, but you may need a bit of
background information:

- Repository User Settings
Extension developers use the extension manager also to upload their
extensions to the TYPO3 Extension Repository (TER); which you can also
see under http://www.typo3.org/extensions/
The username and password can be entered here to make uploads possible.
If you don't develop extensions you can skip this.

- Mirror selection
To make life easier for the server where the TER lives (and to have
faster connections) there are so called mirror servers in various
countries. These contain a copy of the TER. To get the list of mirrors
you can set the location of the mirror list here. It is filled with the
current location already, but in case something might happen in the
future you can change it here.

- Mirror list
If you have connection problems you can force which mirror should be
used. Default is 'Random', which connects to one of the mirrors at random

- Enter repository URL
Only needed if you want to connect to a repository (mirror) which is not
in the list.

All in all, for admins who are not extension developers and if you have
an internet connection without problems you can leave the "settings" as
they are by default.

HTH

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,