[TYPO3-dev] createGroup / chgrp question

Henjo Hoeksma me at henjohoeksma.nl
Wed Jan 26 00:13:33 CET 2011

Hi devs,

just trying to understand some basic ownership issues:

I found that the basicFilefunctions class tries to set the group of a
file/directory based on the settings in the install tool
([BE][createGroup]) with chgrp() function of php.
In order to have this work apache should be a superuser on a system.
That wouldn't make much sense when thinking about security...

So I wonder what the best way would be to solve this, and what the
thought behind it is...

So far I only see a good way of implementing correct settings using
suPhp as an extra layer, which 'automagically' sets every action as if
it were the user/group.

Any suggestions on how to approach this?
Downsides in using suPhp?

If I am in the wrong maillinglist here, please let me know. I thought
this one would be the most logic to find answers ;-)

Thanks in advance,

Henjo