[TYPO3-dev] ext manager

Robert Wildling robertwildling at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 17:55:28 CET 2011

Thank you, Steffen, for your quick response!

>> - Is this behaviour intended?
>> - If so, is there any way to change back to the old ext manager entries
>> later on?

> no - it's not losing entries. In ext conf of em you can switch off old
> modules.

Ok, this might be a "read the manual" thing, that I missed. But here is
another usability proposal from my side:

Since there is so much place for additional flexform tabs, why not
introduce another one that has a quick "How to use" or "New Features" or
"Read me!" integrated? It would just add to usability. All those many
little popups that suddenly come with T3 4.5 don't really grasp the
potential of an extension (and seem to be quite useless, in my opinion;
they evenutally just get in the way... can they be turned off?)

But - to be honest: where is it mentioned that after calling the new EM
for the first time the old functions get hidden?

I consider this behaviour as so important, that it should be mentioned
somewhere in the EM interface! (Like tt_news 3 instructs to hit the
update button...)

>> I also realize that when I copy&paste ext from another local T3
>> installation, the ext managers (old and new) just won't recognize them.
>> The rights and chmods are set correctly though.
>>
>> (I am on a Mac 10.6.6, MAMP Pro 1.9.4, Firefox 3.6.13 (but similiar in
>> latest Chrome and Opera), Typo3 4.5.2)

> don't ever expirienced this.

After maybe 10 or even more clean installations and experiencing with
"use curl" and "don't check referer" and other stuff, it just keeps the
way it is: not recognizing any TER ext. (BTW, this is a clean install,
not the one with your corrections from last time)

This only happens on local T3 installations on MAMP. But T3 4.4.6 is
working fine...

> i fixed the sql error with filtering, not the extra field for the list.
> I said that this is a different issue, please open a BT entry.

Done. I hope I did it correctly.

>> Furthermore: when updateing an ext, that won't work. The procedure is
>> initialising the prozess and downloading the updated ext, but when going
>> back to the list view, nothing changed.

> can't confirm this behaviour. The update icon in rep list is hidden
> after successful update.

On my local installations with MAMP this behaviour is endlessly
reproducable. The remote installations are working fine, though!

>> Another thing: I updated the list of ext with the button (that is shown
>> in the above mentioned bug report). Since it every once in a while gets
>> stuck, I have to remove the ext XML from the temp folder and repeat the
>> procedure. T3 4.5 doesrepeat the procedure, it will also show how many
>> ext there are in the TER, but when I then search for eg powermail,
>> nothing is found!

> what? i find each ext i search for, no problems.

Same as above: MAMP -> reproduceable; remote: everything is fine.

>> I am pretty desperate about this whole new AJAX stuff in T3. Instead of
>> making the CMS faster, everything just gets slower and slower and more
>> and more unstable. The search for errors gets even more difficult... I
>> dont know if T3 is really going into the right direction... (It also
>> should always grow that musch in file size... should ExtJS and the new
>> sprite feature make everything smaller and faster? Why is it not
>> happening???)

> that's not true. Especially the extmanager is slow, you can compare a
> complete module load in old module to the new ext manager, it's much
> much faster!

That might be true - but I never need the complete module load.
(Instead, I would need a last-update order functionallity...) But the EM
in general does actually feel faster than the old one (just not, when it
is not finding anything).

But here is another suggestion, and since T3 is so full of adjustments
that a user can make, why not add this one, too;

In my workflow, I need the EM mostly when I setup a new T3, afterwards I
rarley need it. So I go to the EM, search the ext I need and install them.
The thing that slows this workflow down, is that every time after an ext
is installed, the interface jumps back to the local installation page
(where the ext could be installed, so it makes perfectly sense).

But I would actually expect to stay in the TER page, because I want to
download some more ext and install them later all at once. powermail
needs more than one ext, and tt_news, too.

Of yourse, other situations and other users will contradict my workflow,
and that would be perfectly fine.

But the  new EM handles everything very elegantly anyway, and I think
there would be the place to throw in a new button next to the "close
window" that says "back to TER list" (or sth like that) without
reloading its actual content (and maybe changing the "close the window"
to "install ext"?).

That way every user would have a considerable important choice over what
to do next with exactly the same amount of clicks - which is and remains
1. But the resulting consequences might save quite some time!

***************

Other than that, I keep comparing the speed of T3 on my local
enviroment, where the goal would be to get a real look&feel of an
installed software. Here T3 v4.2 and v4.3 are faster than 4.4 and 4.5,
and 4.4 is still a bit faster than 4.5...

If anyone is out there who has a similar will to test, please join this
discussion!

I don't know if it is ExtJS or the evergrowing complexity of T3 - but to
me it makes very strong the impression that everything gets slower and
slower, even though you developers are working against it...

I winer if there will be feedback...
Regards,
Robert