[TYPO3-dev] ext manager

Robert Wildling robertwildling at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 16:15:07 CET 2011

I am confused and have to ask for help to clarify how to understand the
new ext manager:

When the T3 installation is clean, the ext manager shows many
possibilites, among them the 3 old menu entries "installed ext",
"install ext" and "import ext".

When using the new ext manager, after a while, the menu entries from the
drop down lost for the old ext manager disappear.

- Is this behaviour intended?
- If so, is there any way to change back to the old ext manager entries
later on?

I also realize that when I copy&paste ext from another local T3
installation, the ext managers (old and new) just won't recognize them.
The rights and chmods are set correctly though.

(I am on a Mac 10.6.6, MAMP Pro 1.9.4, Firefox 3.6.13 (but similiar in
latest Chrome and Opera), Typo3 4.5.2)

Steffen - last time you said you made the changes, but you meant the
filter features for TER ext, didn't you? The field to show the date of
the latest update is not yet integrated, or am I missing sth? How about
the bug report? The one you entered,
http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=17788, addresses another topic, not mine.

I mean that there are columns for "Erweiterung", "Schlüssel",
"Kategorie" etc - and that there should be a column that shows the "last
update" of the respective ext. It was requested quite often! And it
really is such a valueable info that it shouldn't be hidden in the
description. (It is quite a waste of time to click through all the ext
and check their date)

Furthermore: when updateing an ext, that won't work. The procedure is
initialising the prozess and downloading the updated ext, but when going
back to the list view, nothing changed.

Another thing: I updated the list of ext with the button (that is shown
in the above mentioned bug report). Since it every once in a while gets
stuck, I have to remove the ext XML from the temp folder and repeat the
procedure. T3 4.5 doesrepeat the procedure, it will also show how many
ext there are in the TER, but when I then search for eg powermail,
nothing is found!

I am pretty desperate about this whole new AJAX stuff in T3. Instead of
making the CMS faster, everything just gets slower and slower and more
and more unstable. The search for errors gets even more difficult... I
dont know if T3 is really going into the right direction... (It also
should always grow that musch in file size... should ExtJS and the new
sprite feature make everything smaller and faster? Why is it not
happening???)

I really respect your work, guys, but please don't forget usability!

Best regards,
Robert