[TYPO3-dev] Ignoring warnings in T3 src, why ?

Tomas Norre Mikkelsen tomasnorre at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 21:30:09 CET 2011

Hi List,

I have a question regarding coding standard in the TYPO3-core.

The other day I was trying to send some test-emails from my development
server. Cause the server has safe_mode = on as default, the mails were
not sent.

I found out that it was because of the safe_mode = on and the conditions
in the t3lib_utility_Mail class[1] in the static mail function.

If safe_mode is disable and the "$additionalParameters = null" then the
mail is not sent.

Line 69 is as follows:
$success = @mail($to, $subject, $messageBody, $additionalHeaders,
$additionalParameters);

My question is, why is the @ used such warnings are ignored, if this was
not set, It would have been easier for me to see that my problems were
caused by safe_mode = on.

It there reason for using the @ such warnings etc. are ignored ?

Perhaps i'm not the developer to see the point, but if there is an
explaination, I would like it such I can learn from it. =)

[1] http://pastebin.com/kZPB8tsu

--
Best Regards
Tomas Norre Mikkelsen