[TYPO3-dev] New version scheme for system extensions

Patrick Lobacher plobacher at n-o-g.de
Fri Dec 16 15:45:37 CET 2011

Georg Ringer schrieb:
> Am 16.12.2011 13:40, schrieb Patrick Lobacher:
>> But how will you distinguish Extbase 1.4 and Extbase 1.3 for example?
>
> by telling the TYPO3 version

Means - that "Extbase 4.6.2" is the version number of the current shiped
extension? Or 1.4 (and this is the same for 4.6.0, 4.6.1, 4.6.2 and so
on) oder just 1.0.0 as you suggest? Or the version of "Extbase which is
shipped with TYPO3 4.6.2". Or should we drop the version numbers
completely and say "Extbase" to a bunch of different versions? As this
examples shows, in my opinion we need a clear rule anyway...

If we document a sysext in manuals, books, articles how can we reference
to this? We need a clear name - like "sysext (TYPO3 4.6.2)" or (better
in my opinion) "sysext 4.6.2" and we have to distinguish different
version as they could have different content (new feature, bug fixed, ...).

The situation today is, that we have these version numbers and some are
called like the TYPO3 version and some not - so I think we should
consolidate this in one direction.

>> You are forced to use TYPO3 4.5 LTS in some cases but you can use
>> Extbase 1.4 with it if you want without problems. If you have just 1.0.0
>> the chaos would be perfect in my opinion.
>
> this would be the 1st time that there is an official opinion that you
> can switch sysexts versions and core versions. Users have *never* been
> accourged and this is also the reason for sysexts not being in TER
> because they are shipped with TYPO3 itself and they will probably work
> *only* in the version they belong.

No, this is no official statement at all - I personally just do not want
to use a sysext which has bugs or less features with the LTS if there
are a fixed versions out there and I know, that they will work
perfectly. But - of course - no other people should encouraged to do this...

Have a great weekend,
Bye
Patrick