[TYPO3-dev] I blame Git [was:Slow BE since 4.5.x]

Philipp Gampe typo3.lists at philippgampe.info
Mon Apr 25 21:43:46 CEST 2011

Hi Jigal and Patrick,

Jigal van Hemert wrote:

> And yes, while there was discussion in Mantis, the core list was more a
> community thing than Gerrit is now.
>
>> Do I got to http://git.typo3.org/TYPO3v4/Core.git every day as I use to
>> read CoreList? No. And I feel i'm not alone (François wrote something in
>> that spirit if I recall).
>
> I am afraid I have to agree. It's an extra step besides the mailing
> lists and it doesn't provide the easy overview as the newsgroup does.
> Review comments, inline comments, all scattered through different patch
> sets isn't really helpful.

As I wrote in core list, you can tell Gerrit to send you a mail for each
action (new patch, vote, comment). This includes inline commands as well
(together with the relevant line from code).

There is only one problem. Gerrit seems to mess up the references, to
threads are not sorted correctly unless you turn sorting by subject on in
thunderbird.

I use this currently to have my own little core list within a folder of my
email account. (I use filter rules to sort into folders).

I asked to let gerrit send those messages to core list, but I did not get
much feedback. Personally I think one could even discuss in core list then
and keep gerrit comments for the real technical things only.

Best regards
--
Philipp Gampe