[TYPO3-dev] Extbase/Fluid Projects?

Thomas "Thasmo" Deinhamer thasmo at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 21:32:15 CEST 2010

Jigal van Hemert wrote:

> In what way do you see pibase as a bottleneck? You're free to use the
> entire TYPO3 API.
>
> And in what way is TCA becoming a bottleneck?

This wasn't meant negatively in any way,
it's just that pibase has is roots in a time "long" ago,
and the Extbase approach is a newer, imo cleaner and
more flexible way while still easy to maintain.
(Pibase kinda seems old and not flexible regarding
more complex extensions; that's also why there are
multiple approaches of implementing MVC before Extbase.)

While exploring Extbase/Fluid in V4 and using it for
some extensions I came to some situations where the TCA
in the Backend was kinda unflexible or not too much "extendable"
than what Extbase is in the frontend. (Like it is easier to relate
different models to each other using the DDD concept, than it is
using the TCA in the backend.)

In more detail I'm e.g. specifically talking about the "group"
field, type "db" which is imo a great way of selecting records
which are stored across several pages - but it kinda lacks the
ability to filter different record-types (records of the same
table but with different types set using their type field.)

That's just an example. Or the ability to select categories from
a tree-like structure etc. (I mean, I know there are implementations
in tt_news and commerce etc., but those are ofc great for their purpose,
but TCA itself lacks such features.)

In other words, for me it seems Extbase provides a better and straighter
API/file structure than pibase, while still being very flexible and
extend able but TCA lacks some features for using it perfectly with Extbase.

Ugh, hopefully it's understandable what I mean, over all I don't think
pibase or TCA are bad systems - not at all - but they lack some features
while working with or compared to Extbase.

Regards,
Thomas