[TYPO3-dev] Announcing TYPO3 4.3.6 and 4.4.3

Oliver Hader oliver at typo3.org
Mon Oct 4 17:15:30 CEST 2010

Hi Christian,

Am 30.09.10 17:31, schrieb Christian Hennecke:
> Am 28.09.2010 17:08, schrieb Oliver Hader:
>> Dear TYPO3 community,
>>
>> The TYPO3 core team has just released TYPO3 versions 4.3.6 and 4.4.3,
>> which are now ready for you to download.
>>
>> All versions are maintenance releases and contain only bugfixes.
>>
>> The packages can be downloaded here:
>>    http://typo3.org/download/packages/
>>
>> For details about the release, please see:
>>    http://news.typo3.org/news/article/typo3-436-and-443-released/
>
> First thing I got after updates where concerned calls from customers
> because of a nag screen about having used TYPO3 for more than three
> months and donating. Whoever came up with that great idea: You have done
> the project a disservice.

I can understand that you have been kind of "shocked". However, this
change was mentioned in the NEWS.txt file that tells about the recent
changes in major versions - you really should read this file!
(https://svn.typo3.org/TYPO3v4/Core/tags/TYPO3_4-4-0/NEWS.txt)

Why didn't you just tell your client honestly something like "Well,
maybe it looks a bit strange on the first impression but it is still a
valid thing, since TYPO3 is basically a community effort and development
is supported by donating to the project. So dear client, if you like
TYPO3 you might consider sponsoring to the assiciation. However by
clicking 'never show again' you won't see the window again..."

Besides that, the donate window is only show to admin users - by giving
your client full access to the website where it's possible to screw up
the whole project, you should consider telling your customer more about
the details (see NEWS.txt from above again).

Best regards,
Olly
--
Oliver Hader