[TYPO3-dev] PHP5.3: TYPO3 (and extensions) not compatible?

André Spindler typo3 at andre-spindler.de
Mon Oct 4 13:33:24 CEST 2010

Hello!

TYPO3 (4.4) claims to be fully compatible to PHP 5.3, but as I understand
the results of my checks, it isn't:

Some days ago I set up a new webserver and decided to install PHP 5.3.
Then I moved some TYPO3 websites to it and run into lots of trouble:
- FE wasn't rendered any more
- on one site I couldn't even manage to login into BE or installtool

Looking at the errors I recognized one common problems: In PHP 5.3, there
are some functions marked as "deprecated" as we have this also in TYPO3.
These functions could normally be used in PHP 5.2 and before, but now their
usage causes an exception.

So I write a small extensions, which searches in the whole TYPO3
installation (Core and extensions) for such function calls.
You can find it in the TER now (extkey: "extcheck") and could be easily used
from the reports module.

You can check core and extensions separately and also search for function
calls which will get "deprecated" in TYPO3 4.5.

The serious thing is, that there are still function calls in the core who
will fail with PHP 5.3.
You can easily find out these call when you check core and the
(system-)extensions.

In the core there are only some few of these function calls left.
But I think extension developers will have some more work to do to get their
extesnions running under PHP 5.3... ;-)

Greetings,
André