[TYPO3-dev] indexed_search + crawler + Extbase-based extension's data

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Mon Oct 4 11:08:13 CEST 2010

Hi,

> i cach this thread as it fit into, i want to hear your opinion.
>
> Imho idexed_search is only reals useful wih usage of crawler. FE
> indexing slows the performance a lot, so any professional solution would
> set up crawler.
> That brings in the question if crawler should be integrated in
> indexed_search (a simplified one already is in).
> For maintainance we could think about usig existing team to maintain
> crawler, but i would like to have an "out-of-the-box" solution when
> installing TYPO3.
> What do you think?

1) I agree, indexed_search without crawler makes no sense, as such
"crawler" should be a sysext

2) I'd not like having a "light crawler" inside indexed_search because
crawler is not that fat and makes sense to be used for other cases,
without indexed_search.

but:

3) When you read crawler's documentation, you don't really have a clue
how to use it, it generates URL, crawl them afterwards but not
"real-life" example

4) Crawler configuration record are not described, only the deprecated
pageTS configuration. Even if it's more or less 1-1 mapping, this is not
clear

5) When you read indexed_search's documentation, you're told to use
crawler for efficiency, aka a non-sysext but that's all, no description
of what to do.

6) indexed_search let you create indexing configuration records. But
there's not a-z step-by-step explanation how to set up indexing of
records for extension XY where you'd like to index columns A, B and C
and show results on page Z. That would be really great

7) What about having screenshots for crawler on how a typical scheduler
setup should look like? (there's at least 3 jobs to create, enqueue,
crawl and flush)

Cheers
Xavier