[TYPO3-dev] Installtool: compare with TCA seems to strict and only helpful for developers

Bjoern Pedersen bjoern.pedersen at frm2.tum.de
Thu Nov 11 15:23:11 CET 2010

Hi,

in the german list we discussed the compare with-TCA feature, as it
often produces lots of "errors". Even for core:
---------
Actual and suggested field definitions

This table shows you the suggested field definitions which are
calculated based on the configuration in $TCA.
If the suggested value differs from the actual current database value,
you should not panic, but simply check if the datatype of that field is
sufficient compared to the data, you want TYPO3 to put there.
pages
Field name: 	Suggested value from $TCA: 	Actual value from database:
doktype 	int(11) NOT NULL default '0' 	tinyint(3) unsigned NOT NULL
default '0'
title 	tinytext 	varchar(255) default ''
TSconfig 	text 	text NOT NULL
php_tree_stop 	tinyint(3) NOT NULL default '0' 	tinyint(4) NOT NULL
default '0'
is_siteroot 	tinyint(3) NOT NULL default '0' 	tinyint(4) NOT NULL
default '0'
storage_pid 	int(11) NOT NULL default '0' 	int(11) NOT NULL default '0'
t3ver_label 	tinytext 	varchar(255) default ''
editlock 	tinyint(3) NOT NULL default '0' 	tinyint(4) unsigned NOT NULL
default '0'
hidden 	tinyint(3) NOT NULL default '0' 	tinyint(4) unsigned NOT NULL
default '0'

To me, this tool seems mostly developer-relevant, as the normal
db-compare should be sufficient for any end-user.

Suggestion: move this functionality to extdeveval.

Björn