[TYPO3-dev] cache framework - exception in apc backend when no space is left

Andreas Kiessling kiessling at pluspol.info
Sun Nov 7 20:43:55 CET 2010

Hi Christian,

Am 04.11.10 21:43, schrieb Christian Kuhn:

> Main apc characteristics I've observed:
> - It's very fast (completely memory driven, no network overhead)
> - Not suitable for big data and tons of entries (maybe some megs, but
> not much more) -> unusable for cache_pages and friends.
> - I have seen major memory leaks in apc even with tiny test cases on
> debian lenny (using enetcacheanalytics). I'm unsure if this is solved in
> newer versions. After this experience I dropped the idea to use it in
> production.
>
> BTW: I know we are still lacking real documentation for the caching
> framework (it will come, I promise). For a quick start, I've once posted
> a longer article here in the dev list to compare the different backends.

To spare others time to search, you referred to:
Re: [TYPO3-dev] Missing feature in t3lib_cache_backend_MemcachedBackend

> To make it short: For real life usage the db backend is usually the best
> choice in most cases, together with the compress option in 4.5 it's
> suitable even for "bigger" cache data. Use the new garbage collection
> task in 4.5 (or its 4.3 / 4.4 version from ext: enetcache) when using
> the db backend. Remember that the memcache implementation has a problem
> when it does evictions, or if a cluster member fails.

Thanks for mentioning the other thread and your conclusion. Just what i
was hoping for :) I think i will drop the apc backend then and go for
the db backend.

Do you have any news on the redis backend? I also thought, that a noSQL
approach would perfectly fit the demands of the cache.

Regarding memcache: that one got me pretty confused, since it is called
"t3lib_cache_backend_MemcachedBackend", but uses the php extension
"memcache". When you install "memcached" and are faced with the
exception that you must install "memcached", something must be wrong ;)
Is it too late to rename it to "t3lib_cache_backend_MemcacheBackend"?

Regards,
Andreas