[TYPO3-dev] Install Tool: Deletion suggested!?

Helmut Hummel helmut at typo3.org
Sun May 23 12:43:59 CEST 2010

Hi Steffen,

On 20.05.10 23:18, Steffen Gebert wrote:

> It's the complexity of the Install Tool. I'd like to remove everything
> which is not absolutely needed.

Come on. This thing is a monster. Removing one line of text, which gives
a (in my eyes) perfectly valid hint how to improve security, will not
help. To me this only looks like a message: "Na, this little thingy is
not so dangerous! Let's skip this obsolete hint."

Like Benni suggested on the core list: Rework the whole thing with
usability in mind is the only way how to improve the install tool. Doing
we might find a place where such a hint won't affect usability at all
and is additionally presented in a more prominent manner.

> As this text IMHO - who is heavily concerned about Install Tool security
> could search/ask/think of for more rocket-solid solutions.

It is always the case, that a user might already know what to do or get
information about security elsewhere. So we can safely remove all hints
regarding security from the backend and the install tool? Or just remove
hints that are not critical for 90% of our users but may harm 10%? I
don't think so.

Regards Helmut