[TYPO3-dev] BrowserInfo going beserk...

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Thu May 20 10:09:53 CEST 2010

> For the Install Tool I already proposed a change to Patrick Broens to
> simply use conditional comments for the IE6/7 CSS, but this problem
> still affects the Typoscript conditions for browser type and version.

Well - maybe you should report these issues here:
http://forge.typo3.org/projects/backend-cleanup/issues

IMHO we should aim for a solution that will work with each of the supported
browsers without having to use conditional comments and/or hacks. Since IE6
currently is setting the least common denominator, we setup some rules in
our team, to get a CSS that will do a workaround for most of the bugs
without triggering weird behaviour in other browsers.

*Don't use padding and width/height for the same element
*Use position:absolute instead of float wherever possible
*Use float:left and float:right with proper width instead of float:left only
and marign-right to position 2 "column" elements side by side
*If you had to use float, use a clearing HTML element instead of the
clearfix hack
*Use zoom:1 to trigger "hasLayout"
*Use filter for transparent PNG files

The latter 2 are still kind of hacks but the rest is valid XHTML and CSS and
none of them needs to use any kind of browser detection.

BTW: Absolute positioning can still use relative values like i.e. 30%, so
you will still get a flexible layout when necessary. And since we are
heavily using JavaScript in the BE anyway, we can do a lot of stuff by
setting CSS positions and sizes via JS.

Just my 2 cents

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian