[TYPO3-dev] Install Tool: Change of DB password field to "password" input needless?

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Fri May 14 14:40:26 CEST 2010

Steffen Gebert schrieb am 14.05.2010 11:52:
> Am 14.05.2010, 11:41 Uhr, schrieb Thomas Löffler
> <thomas.loeffler at uni-hohenheim.de>:
>
>>> If someone is sitting next to you and you don't want him to turn around
>>> but still want to show him how the install tool works, it is good to
>>> just have the *****
>>
>> thats a good point, but what else?
>
> Noting else? I agree with Georg.

I agree with the users that the usability is a bit lost here. There is
no confirmation of the entered password and you cannot recognize a
potential spelling mistake easily.

For setup scenarios where password is masked there are usually two
fields (to confirm your password). In this case, this is not required,
as the password isn't applied anywhere but it is only used.

So I suggest to make a checkbox besides the input field which turns it
into a "clear text" field on demand. This way the user can choose how to
work with the password, and simply entering the install tool and showing
it to colleagues won't display the password by default.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Ernesto