[TYPO3-dev] Imagemagick 4.2.9 texts in install tool

Steffen Gebert steffen at steffen-gebert.de
Sun May 9 18:57:08 CEST 2010

Hi,

since version 4.3 TYPO3 doesn't work by default with imagemagick 4.2.9
which is "highly recommended due to features and speed!" (*)

So we should at least remove the information, that it is recommended and
instead recommend IM6 or GM.
Also there are many options, I'm not 100% sure, whether they are needed
and if we should change the texts - so I'm asking you.

> 'im_path' // Path to the IM tools 'convert', 'combine', 'identify'.
> Version 4.2.9 of ImageMagick is highly recommended due to features and
> speed!
suggestion:
> // Path to the IM tools ('convert', 'combine', 'identify' for
> ImageMagick or 'gm' for GraphicsMagick).

> 'im_path_lzw' // Path to the IM tool 'convert' with LZW enabled! See
> 'gif_compress'.
> If your version 4.2.9 of ImageMagick is compiled with LZW you may leave
> this field blank
> AND disable the flag 'gif_compress'! Tip: You can call LZW 'convert'
> with a prefix like
> 'myver_convert' by setting this path with it, eg. '/usr/bin/myver_'
> instead of just '/usr/bin/'.
I have no idea, what to do with this. Do we need this for IM6/GM?

> 'im_version_5' // String. Set this if you're using
> ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick but not IM 4.x.Setting this value will
> automatically configure some settings for use with the specified program
> version. Allowed values are: "im4", "im5", "im6" and "gm" (uses
> GraphicsMagick instead of ImageMagick).
can stay?

> 'im_negate_mask' // Boolean. Indicates if the mask images should be
> inverted first. This depends
> of the ImageMagick version. Below ver. 5.1 this should be false. Above
> ImageMagick version 5.2+
> it should be true. Just set the flag if the masks works opposite the
> intension!
And what's with IM6/GM?

> 'im_imvMaskState' // Boolean. If set, the 'im_negate_mask' state is
> inverted. This is very useful
> with newer versions of IM5 (at least 5.4.3+) where the 'im_version_5'
> setting will set 'im_negate_mask'
> which will eventually be wrong... Halleluja for ImageMagick - have I
> ever regreted using that package...
no comment..

> 'im_no_effects' // Boolean. This is necessary if using ImageMagick 5+.
> Approved version for using
> effects is version 4.2.9. Effects in Imagemagick 5+ tends to render very
> slowly! Therefore this must
> be disabled in order not to perform sharpen, blurring and such. (However
> lately IM5 is allowed for
> effects again, but syntax has changed!)
Umm.. but IM6/GM is okay again, isn't it?

> 'im_v5effects' // Integer -1,0,1. 0=disabled. -1=Do not sharpen images
> by default. 1=All; blur
> and sharpening is allowed in ImageMagick again and the 'im_no_effects'
> flag is cancelled.
> Blurring and sharpening has new syntaxes though. See
> class.t3lib_stdgraphic.php for details.
All greek to me.. See source for docu? Yeah!!

> 'im_mask_temp_ext_gif' // Boolean. This should be set if ImageMagick is
> version 5+. This
> is used in class.tslib_content.php for masking images and the extension
> png is normally
> used because it's faster than gif for temporary files. But png seems not
> to work with
> some IM 5+ versions, so...
Umm.. okay.. enough for me.. I will stop my list here..

Do you think, we should simply deprecate IM4+5 and get rid of the
superfluous options in 4.6 then?
IMHO we really need to get rid of this legacy idiotic stuff. I'm so sure
that nobody uses im5 and all those options only make the install tool such
complex.

Steffen

(*) according to the install tool