[TYPO3-dev] RFC: Unicode with preg_replace

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 24 09:13:21 CET 2010

Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> Jigal van Hemert wrote:
>> Some users of CJK characters may like character sets and encodings where
>> their favourite character are encoded by single bytes. This may
>> contribute to the fact that some people may not accept Unicode or the
>> utf-8 encoding.
>
> If the site displays properly, who of visitors cares about encoding?

Virtually none. Visitors often have an "as long as it works" attitude.
Site builders are mostly the problem in this. If most of your textual
data uses characters which need multiple bytes in the encoding then your
database might be a bit larger. I don't mind; storage is cheap.

To be clear on this: I'm for using Unicode and utf-8 is in my mind the
most efficient encoding if you have a mix of various languages.

--
Jigal van Hemert.