[TYPO3-dev] RFC: Unicode with preg_replace

Christopher Torgalson bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 23:17:04 CET 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Jigal van Hemert <jigal at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> The unicode.org website explains that there are some characters which
> are shared between a few languages, but *look* slightly different in
> each language. Unicode does not attempt to contain glyphs (graphical
> representations of characters), but characters. By using the right font
> these characters will be displayed correctly.

This is correct. It's not unusual for Chinese, Japanese and Korean
language users to write a character slightly differently from one
another. I gather the same is sometimes even true between different
Chinese communities.

I first learned about this when, producing artwork for a Korean
audience, I blithely used a Chinese font whose styling suited the
project quite well and failed to notice that one of the characters
'departed' from the standard Korean way of writing it. A short period
of confusion ensued :)

--
Christopher Torgalson
http://www.typo3apprentice.com/