[TYPO3-dev] Apache/PHP TYPO3 Caching-Module

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Tue Mar 16 15:33:07 CET 2010

Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> On 2010-03-16 12:45:58 +0200, Bernhard Kraft said:
>> Jigal van Hemert wrote:
>>> AJAX seems nice, but in the Netherlands all government websites
>>> (also municipal sites, etc.) must follow a set of accessibility
>>> guidelines which dictate that for JavaScript, Flash, etc.
>>> features at least a fall-back mechanism must exist.
>>
>> AFAIK it is similar for government sites in Austria. The whole
>> stuff available to the public must work with JavaScript disabled.
>
> Those guys live in the past century and stop innovation...

It's not a matter of living in the past. The information and other
important parts of a government website must simple be accessible to
everybody. If you use screen reader software or a braille bar then it is
technically very hard to impossible to access information which is
injected with JavaScript or presented by flash animations.

Government sites are not about coolness or innovation, they must provide
information. In some cases I don't understand why things are not done in
a simple way. For example (not to criticize this extension only, it's
just an example) sr_feuser_register uses JavaScript to populate forms
with the current (or default) values. Why? I don't know; we've been
building forms with values for ages and there is nothing innovative
about these forms.

> Agencies would do good for themselves if they raise this issue to
> their governments. Web moves on, staying at one spot means being
> obsolete.

There is no issue to raise. Recent laws dictate the accessiblity rules.
It's very unlikely that such recent laws will be modified soon. Besides,
because all government websites must follow these rules there is a lot
of work to be done by those agencies...

--
Jigal van Hemert.