[TYPO3-dev] Apache/PHP TYPO3 Caching-Module

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Sun Mar 14 13:38:56 CET 2010

Bernhard Kraft wrote:
> Jigal van Hemert wrote:
>> Caching entire pages is not what today's websites need. In many
>> cases the contents generated by a plugin could be cached under
>> certain conditions (for a limited time, per user, per group, ...)
>> but you need a caching framework which can support this.
> I guess here is the border between what one usually calls a CMS and
> what a portal or community engine could be ...

Once there may have been a difference between a CMS and a community
engine, but demands change and also tradional, informational sites
require more dynamic content (news which is added several times a day,
latest whatever kind of records, etc.)

> What flasehd to my mind right now: I guess every one of us was faced
> with the problem to dynamically generate some small parts of content
> and deliver it to the browser via AJAX. Like new messages on
> facebook, etc.

AJAX seems nice, but in the Netherlands all government websites (also
municipal sites, etc.) must follow a set of accessibility guidelines
which dictate that for JavaScript, Flash, etc. features at least a
fall-back mechanism must exist.
This implies that even fe_adminLib.inc based stuff cannot be used,
because they rely on JavaScript (for example in displayEditForm() the
current form values are set with JavaScript).

>> I can't imagine how an external caching proxy can help in caching
>> partially "cacheable" pages and possibly caching content blocks...
>
> Of course there are still _INT objects - and if tslib_fe recognizes
> _INT markers in the cached content it will start generating them.

This can't be handled by an external caching server, can it?

> But many _INT objects could make a site slower than generationg the
> complete page, as every _INT object consists of a serialized "cObj"
> stored in the database.

Is reviving a serialized "cObj" object such a heavy task? Shouldn't it
be comparable to letting the object generate the content as if the
entire page wasn't cached?

> I guess it would be time for some kind of Community/Portal Engine for
> TYPO3. Don't you think so?

Caching on plugin level would be great! How much faster would it be if
an _INT plugin could be cached for an hour?
It could be rather simple by letting the plugin set the cache-hash and
TTL. The only thing you really need is a lean mean caching routine ;-)

--
Jigal van Hemert.