[TYPO3-dev] Caching Framework

Nikolas Hagelstein lists at shr-now.de
Tue Mar 2 12:45:19 CET 2010

Hi,
> But without my patches, even the xcache variant (I simply added a
> caching backend for xcache) was slower than just disabling the caching
> framework.

Nice one. I did a similiar thing recently:
http://forge.typo3.org/issues/show/6426

But I noticed that switching between different caching backends.
does not significantly increases performance since:
The caching backend is not the bottleneck (as you pointed out as well).

Slightly off topic notes:

1. On a single mashine setup, the mysl query cache - if of sufficient size -
is pretty fast.
So you won't see a big difference between shm and db based caching backends
unless any
upstream bottleneck (e.g. serialize stuff) is removed.

2. Keep in mind that using shm based caching performace (apc, xcache etc.)
strongly
depends on the webserver configuration. No problem for mod_php setups, but
for fast_cgi setups
since shm can't be shared beyond process borders.

Obviously the same is true for the opcode caching for fast_cgi setups...but
that's another story.

Regards,
Nikolas