[TYPO3-dev] pngBuilder Support for enhanced text-rendering

Stefan Geith typo3dev2010.nospam1 at geithware.de
Tue Mar 2 09:10:16 CET 2010

JoH asenau schrieb:
>> So shouldn't we think about an enhanced PNG Creation
>> with gifBuilder or - maybe better - an new *pngBuilder* ?
> [...]
>  Although we could still think about a better naming I don't think we have
> to build a new pngbuilder from scratch. Enhanced GIFBUILDER should be
> enough, since it already does almost everything that's necessary except
> handling alpha channels.

Yes and no: sure it would be possible to enhance the old gifbuilder, but
I think a new pngbuilder would be better:
A pngbuilder with dedicated 24/32bit Support (including alpha-channel)
for 24bit jpgs and 24/32bit pngs could be faster and less complicated,
because it does not need to deal with 'transparentColor' and/or
'reduceColors' nor support 8bit color with colortables.

> Another thing that could be improved is the calculation of height and
> lineheight to get a correct positioning of Text with characters like Ä or g.
> Lineheight calculation as such currently works with automatic line breaks
> only - should be enabled for manual linebreaks as well.

Beside these problems: my main Problem is, that text is always rendered
on a BackgroundColor (defaults to white) whicht looks very ugly, when
disyplayed over an image .

I don't like text rendered as an image ;) but there are customers, who
absolutley cannot exist without their CI-Font on the website ... so my
main usage of gifbuilder is to render text on a transparent background.
And the quaility, that is provided by gifbuilder is - at least -
suboptimal .

For me, a simple specialized text-renderer would be sufficent ... but
that would be an incomplete and nonsatisfying solution.

> Maybe we should set up a project on forge and start brainmstorming there?

Good idea.

/Stefan