[TYPO3-dev] Changes for running TYPO3 on OS/2 or eComStation

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Sat Jun 19 18:35:01 CEST 2010

Hi Michael,

> Is it possible that you make some little changes to the source to get
> TYPO3 running on OS/2 or eComStation out of the box?
> There are little changes needed that have no side effect to Windows or
> *nix. You have to change the PHP_OS checks, so that TYPO3 acts like
> windows and not like *nix when it run under OS/2.

Everything is possible as long as it doesn't break something else ;-)

The proper way is to:

1) open a bug report on bugs.typo3.org
2) submit a RFC to the Core mailing list (see
http://typo3.org/teams/core/core-mailinglist-rules/)
3) wait for approval ;-)

The only issue you may encounter is that not many people run OS/2, so it
might be hard to get other developers to test the changes you propose.

That being said I took a quick look at these changes and what it really
point to IMO is that we should have a method that checks the OS rather
than having this test repeated several times throughout the Core. So
ideally what you should come up with is a method that would replace
these checks (something isWinOS() or whatever). The advantage is that
this could also be covered by unit tests.

Cheers

--

Francois Suter