[TYPO3-dev] Suggestions for triggering BE sprite generation

Thomas Allmer at at delusionworld.com
Fri Jan 29 18:12:37 CET 2010

On 29.01.2010 17:52, Steffen Gebert wrote:
> Am 29.01.2010, 17:33 Uhr, schrieb Dmitry Dulepov
> <dmitry.dulepov+t3ml at gmail.com>:
>
> ! That's my point: nothing to merge! :) The whole sprite merging idea
>> comes from having a single sprite. I say:
>> - use multiple logically grouped sprites
>> - use API to replace changed icons from other sprites directly in CSS
>
> Logically grouping is a problem, as we have a different directory layout
> (actions, apps, status, ..).
>
> I propose one sprite for core icons and one for the file types (we also
> have new, clean icons there). Then one per extension, if author decides
> implements this.
>
> The core-icons result in a sprite of 94KB. I see no reason, to split
> this up.

you can user <context>-<type>-icon for hat

example:
icons/apps/filetree-root.png
icons/apps/filetree-mount.png
icons/apps/filetree-folder-user.png
icons/apps/pagetree-page-default.png
icons/apps/pagetree-page-mauntpoint.png

will result in 2 sprites
t3-icon-apps-filetree.png
t3-icon-apps-pagetree.png

it seems there is a lot of confusion why we need sprites? how many? and
howto generate/provide them? how often they are generated? how is the
overlay realized? why single icon files and not multiple sprites?

We discussed all this pretty deeply and for most of the questions we
have pretty good concepts and some are already implemented...

I will try to write a more deeply explanation on this tomorrow.

cheers