[TYPO3-dev] Suggestions for triggering BE sprite generation

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Fri Jan 29 17:27:42 CET 2010

Dmitry Dulepov schrieb am 29.01.2010 14:00:

> On 2010-01-29 11:52:59 +0200, Steffen Gebert said:
>> Ideas:
>>
>> dynamic
>> =======
>
> Slow. Unneeded work. It will slow down the system even more. It is
> already inacceptably slow. Dynamic will make it worse.
>
>> static
>> ======
>
> Fast. Best. Simple. Done once, used always.
>
> By the way, Facebook uses static sprites. I guess they are not stupid
> for doing so...

How do you know that it is static? I fear your argument is not good, as
Facebook seem to generate the sprites on demand, see the path of the
sprite file I've got:

http://de-de.facebook.com/rsrc.php/z3YC8/hash/74mnzfmd.png

Notice the .php in between and the funky hashes for the filename. We in
TYPO3 we even be noticeable faster because the generated sprite won't go
through PHP anymore (will be delivered by apache).

>> It should be possible to implement it in a few hours. Otherwise some
>> of you have to help out!
>
> Static can be implemented in a few minutes.

But makes lots of work when one icon is changed, when skins need to
"merge" icon sets etc. See the use cases of dynamic generation in JoHs
arguments.

Cheers,
Ernesto