[TYPO3-dev] Suggestions for triggering BE sprite generation

Steffen Gebert steffen at steffen-gebert.de
Fri Jan 29 15:59:21 CET 2010

Am 29.01.2010, 15:18 Uhr, schrieb JoH asenau <info at cybercraft.de>:

> Which is not the same question you asked before and which implies a
> certain
> behaviour of the "generator" which is not existing yet. There doesn't
> need
> to be any new button, because the whole process could be triggered i.e.
> by
> the EM when installing/removing an extension. No real performance loss at
> runtime but a *huge* performance gain for any extension developer or skin
> designer.

But I really see a problem with deleting files in typo3temp/
It's usual that they are automatically recreated, at least after FE cache
is cleared.
I'm okay with missing icons after deleting files without clearing any
cache. But then, they should be back.

That was because I suggested "create a cache entry, which file should be
used" and use it until cache is cleared. As soon as cache is cleared, the
hash for filenames+mtimes+sizes is recalculated. If a file with this hash
exists already, we use it. Otherwise we create it and do the heavy stuff.

That's currently for me the maximum dynamic we can afford, as checking
size+mtimes of 100 (200?) icons for each and every request is a nogo.

Steffen