[TYPO3-dev] New icons to the core or to t3skin?

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Fri Jan 29 15:13:58 CET 2010

> i don't see this as valid answer, i don't see any need for generating
> icons. Every skin can deliver static icons.

I will quote Thomas Allmer, who explained it quite clearly:

<quote>
now what do we get with this setup?
we can override icons in another skin with just placing a single icon in
it; no sprites whatsoever

# another skin; mySkin (needs to in installed after t3skin)
# source images in mySkin (1 icon)
typo3conf/ext/mySkin/images/icons/actions/document-close.png

now as we install another skin the sprites will be regenerated and the
new sprites will just replace the current one in the typo3temp folder
and only ONE icon is different [1]. So for people who want to skin it's
far easier to replace icons and they don't need to care about what
happens if the original skin replaces some icons as the icons are not
duplicated (this is how it happens now...).
</quote>

The goal is to get rid of any kind of "single icon" and switch to sprites
completely.
So you always get just ONE big sprite containing all the necessary Icons for
the current combination of Skin(s) and Extensions. This can only be
acchieved by generating this sprite and definitely not manually.

HTH

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
Xing: http://contact.cybercraft.de