[TYPO3-dev] Suggestions for triggering BE sprite generation

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Fri Jan 29 14:58:33 CET 2010

Hi,

Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
>> How would you implement a sprite generator?
>
> This is a wrong question to start with. This question misses a goal
> completely. According to the question the goal is "implement sprite
> generator". I do not think it is right. Why do we need sprites? To speed
> up web site loading. This is a goal. How does sprite ~generation~ feet
> to this goal. It doesn't.

A sprite generator doesn't need to be some kind of on demand generator
which gets involved when someone requests a page which requires the sprite.

What about a sprite generator which is invoked by an admin or by the
Extension Manager?

The only challenge I see is the caching settings for letting the client
cache the file when it's not changed.

The site can support different icon sizes, can add icons to the sprite,
etc. while still having the advantage of a single (or a few?) sprite
instead of dozens of small images.

I'd like to see it as static as possible, but some flexibility would be
great.

Regards, Jigal.