[TYPO3-dev] New relational concept for personal data

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov+t3ml at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 12:27:44 CET 2010

Hi!

On 2010-01-25 13:03:40 +0200, JoH asenau said:
> This might be true for pure normalization, but not if we create real objects
> together with an object cache.

That cache has to be stored somewhere, right? Unless it is in memcache,
it will take time to load for each request too. Probably it will be
faster than database joins but it has to be carefully designed and
tested (not the way it normally happens in TYPO3).

> IMHO this could be step to get closer to the concepts of FLOW3/V5 and with
> proper caching it will be much faster than the current approach - not to
> mention the fact that you don't have to edit lots of redundant data in
> different records manually when some data has to be changed.

FLOW3 had major performance problems (no idea if they still have), so
it is not a good example.

I like the idea of accessing data as objects. This is a really good
approach because it is highly expendable. But again: it has to be
planned very carefully. ORMs are usually slow. If we combine slow ORM
with slow TYPO3, the result will be 2x slow. When doing this, database
experts have to work with programmers in order to make this layer as
fast as possible.

If done properly, we can end up in even faster application than when
database access is used directly (because nobody will query fe_users 10
times during a single page load).

--
Dmitry Dulepov
"Trust me, I am a doctor!" (c) Gregory House, M.D.