[TYPO3-dev] How do I add existing records with IRRE?

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Fri Jan 22 14:34:52 CET 2010

>> Shouldn't the 'foreign_table' be 'parent_table' for child records?
>
> Thanks for the quick response, but no, unfortunately not. If I do
> that, then the select box will show all items from the parent_table,
> but it should be the child_table of course (that part works).

Still don't get that.

Usually you create a connection between two items with IRRE.
These items can belong to the same or different tables.
If you don't use an intermediate or MM table, you will need two fields to
enable a bidirectional connection.
This will enable child records to be connected to parent records and vice
versa.

So usually the child record should get a field pointing to the parent table
and the parent record should get a field pointing to the child table. If
they belong to the same table you will need two different fields for this
purpose.

When opening a parent record you will get the usual IRRE behaviour:
You create new child records directly from within the parent record's
editing form, which will be connected automatically.

When opening a child record you will get a selector box (or maybe a group
field with a wizard) that will enable you to connect the child record to the
parent record. It will show a selection of possible parent records to
connect the child record to. The child record will show up in the editing
form of the selected parent record next time you open it. Each parent record
the child record is connected to will show up in the selector box.

So I still think the field of the child record should point to the parent
table.

HTH

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian