[TYPO3-dev] [TYPO3-dam-devel] RFC #13641: dam_ttcontent: Use new TYPO3 4.3 hook for preview images in page modul

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Sun Feb 28 14:14:32 CET 2010

Hi Steffen,

Steffen Kamper wrote:
> we don't consider hooks as "bad", only we are faced to the drawbacks if
> they
> * are not specific
> * are duplicated

I don't consider them as 'bad' per se, but as Masi indicated:
* there are many hooks (if a lot of them are used it will most likely
cost performance)
* they expose the inner workings of a function
The last point has both disadvantages (hooks will be broken if the
implementation of a function/method changes) and advantages (the
functionality of a method/function can be modified without changing
source code).

> I'm not sure if interfaces are the better solution, i have no real idea
> to change it that it allows maximum of user control but minimum of
> loosing overview and performance.

I can only see interfaces as a way to keep APIs constant over a period
of time and as a way to define APIs for objects which might have variety
in implementations. Both can of course be achieved by other means.
Maybe I don't understand PHP interfaces very well and maybe OO experts
are very enthusiastic about them...

--
Jigal van Hemert.