[TYPO3-dev] 2-level sysext? was:Linkvalidator needs you

Bjoern Pedersen bjoern.pedersen at frm2.tum.de
Tue Dec 21 14:32:53 CET 2010

Am 21.12.2010 14:06, schrieb Steffen Gebert:
>> Enterprise CMS... It's expected to have such a tool. Clients over 7
>> years always asked me for such a feature.
>>
>> Sure, a 100 pages website doesn't need such a tool and cag_linkchecker
>> is available as a "just-in-time" solution but 1000 pages websites needs
>> a more robust solution. Hence the Scheduler support of LinkValidator.
>
> I support Dmitry's opinion here. Besides saying "yes, TYPO3 can check
> your links", I see only disadvantages (responsibility of the core team
> to maintain the code (in doubt), rules for core development apply
> (reviews, new features etc.)).
>
> I'm really happy to see a good solution for the 404 problem, but I would
> prefer to have it as a separate extension in TER.
>
> Kind regards
> Steffen

Maybe a 2-level system for system extensions would be a solution?
level-1: essential, core version specific extensions (e.g.
rte,workspaces,list) which reside in sysext and are only released with
each core version.
level-2: other useful extensions (with key owned by TYPO3 association
and a development team), which are used very often.
These could maybe be shipped in typo3/ext, and are updateable from 	TER.
Why in typo3/ext? This directory is shipped empty and currently requires
anyway extra care on each update.

Björn