[TYPO3-dev] Weird problems with xcache and deprecated use of pass-by-reference

Steffen Müller typo3 at t3node.com
Wed Dec 1 16:36:00 CET 2010

Hi.

I'd like to share a weird problem I had today.

I ran into fatal PHP errors with TYPO3:

%<-------
mod_fcgid: stderr: PHP Fatal error:  Class 't3lib_div' not found in
/var/www/typo3_src/typo3_src-4.4/t3lib/class.t3lib_autoloader.php on
line 107
-------%<

I could identify a call to:
t3lib_div::getUrl($uri, 0, FALSE, &$report);
which caused the error.

The error does not occur when I turn off xcache. Instead I get an
deprecation warning:
%<-------
PHP : Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated in /var/www/...
-------%<

When I correctly use
t3lib_div::getUrl($uri, 0, FALSE, $report);
without &, it works both with and without xcache

Using latest TYPO3 4.4 branch on PHP 5.3.3 with fcgid and php-xcache
(Debian squeeze).

The fatal error is very misleading, so be warned if you run into similar
cases.

--
cheers,
Steffen