[TYPO3-dev] JPEG quality

Franz Koch typo3.RemoveForMessage at elements-net.de
Tue Aug 31 17:07:57 CEST 2010

Hey,

> I tend to have a default of 55 and raise it up to
> 75 if needed.

my default in TYPO3 is 70. Everything lower then that just looks awful
with 50% of the images.
When exporting images from Photoshop etc I'm using 55 as default, which
is about the same quality level as 70/75 with imagemagick.

> The problem we have with clients is that they sometimes
> complain that images (especiall RED ones) look "awful"
> in their oppinion. Unfortunately this is true to a
> certain degree - red images/jpegs look not as good
> as other colors.

The JPG algorithm in general has a issue with the color red (especially
saturated shades covering larger areas). And compared to other tools
imageMagick/graphicsMagick don't have the best JPG implementation.
Whereas all tools creating JPGs (also Photoshop) have issues with red
colors, from my experience they deal a bit better with it.

> This ends up in setting the quality to 90 or even higher
> to satisfy the customer - but imo this really bugs me!!

my limit is 90 - if customers still complain I say it's already the
maximum setting and they can live with it.

> How do you handle this? How to you argument a higher
> compression ratio?

there are no arguments as long as the used images look like crap. A
website is a 24/7 representation of the customer/company, so it has to
look good and professional. Of course it should also be loaded fast, but
most customers don't care about that - so they should get what the ask
for. I can only advise them - if they don't care it's not my problem and
not my fault. Easy as that.

The only thing you could do is to advise the customer to use PNG instead
of JPG for images that are no photos but stuff like diagrams.

--
kind regards,
Franz Koch