[TYPO3-dev] Meta tag "noindex, nofollow" on development domain

Christian Kuhn lolli at schwarzbu.ch
Thu Aug 19 01:01:28 CEST 2010

Hey.

forgot some answer in my last post ;)

Thomas "Thasmo" Deinhamer wrote:
> Nevertheless I'd appreciate it if someone of you could bring up some
> arguments why it can make sense to completely deny access to the public
> on websites which are under current development!

- Some search bot might ignore the robots meta tag, or something could
go wrong with your meta settings -> double indexes -> lower ranking

- You might have new / experimental code that nobody should notice at
this point.

- More important: Usually, dev systems enable all sorts of debug
settings to allow better development: exceptionHandler debug Level, FE
debugs, cc_debug, cc_devlog, BE debugs, query debugs, php showing
warnings / fatals in FE, you name it.
All those settings should be disabled in production environment. For
example it's better to log php warnings to system log instead of a happy
little FE debug output visible to all visitors.
Otherwise, this could eg. lead to a security issue if attackers are able
to figure classes / locations / db structure / whatever from those debug
messages (information retrieval).
So, it's good practice to add some authentication process to your dev
system to deny access for every unwanted visitor / bot / interested person.

Regards
Christian