[TYPO3-dev] Performance optimization Typo3

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Wed Aug 18 11:39:59 CEST 2010

Hi,

On 18-8-2010 11:20, Chris Zepernick {SwiftLizard} wrote:
> At the moment session and session_data is read several times at page
> load by typo3 itself, at the same time there are several inserts and
> deletes. This comes per page load per user.
>
> If you run systems in a normal typo3 scope this might be no problem, but
> if you have a high traffic installation with several hundert thousand
> users that have several different usergroups assigned this is a major
> problem.

This sounds more of a general performance problem with the setup,
although I'm sure that you've investigated it.

A database, including MySQL, is quite capable of performing a lot of
queries. Larger databases require correct configuration of course.

Years ago I worked on a (non-TYPO3) site with half a million registered
users. Every page view the user profile was updated and some pages (e.g.
with a chat applet on them) even 'called home' frequently to tell the
user was still there (and the online timestamp of that user was again
updated).
Of course we used a dedicated server just for MySQL with sufficient
memory, the right indexes in the database and a proper configuration
(buffers, etc.) for the expected load.

> The bottleneck is not the DB itself, the bottleneck is the way typo3
> works in this case. As mentioned above typo3 reads and writes several
> times at page load form and to db only to get and update the session.

I think you should get more performance out of the DB then you did. Even
with several read/write operations per page by TYPO3 this shouldn't be a
big issues.

Using a cache for storing session data seems like a really bad solution
to me.

> Some of this is due the fact that we are not able to use mysql sepecific
> features, because other dbs don´t have them. (INSERT ... ON DUBLIKATE
> KEY UPDATE ...)

That may help a bit, but still it should be able to handle more than you
describe.

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal van Hemert