[TYPO3-dev] Performance optimization Typo3

Chris Zepernick {SwiftLizard} chris at swift-lizard.com
Mon Aug 16 22:42:10 CEST 2010

Hi guys,

as mentioned in another thread I was working on speeding up
TYPO3 for the last two weeks, this is why we (freelance team at german
Telekom) have rebuild the whole sessionhandling of T3 from DB to
memcache, or better said to use the caching framework.

Background: We currently have 50.000 FE users and 55 FE groups,
and we will get additional 80.000 FE users and 100 FE groups by the end
of this month.

During that task we discovered serveral little inconvenience
related to some TYPO3 Core classes.

First of all we discovered that there is no possibility to check
whether the Memcache is connected or not, although this information
is stored within the memcache class in a protected attribute.

This was solved by implementing a method to get the value of this attribute.

Using the caching framework to store the session and session data
brought up a new problem,.. each time someone cleared the cache all
FE and BE users are logged out.

This we solved by impemtenting a method in cachemanger to remove
a cache config from the list of caches to clear.

works like charme ;-)

Last inconvinience we discovered was that the whole user auth process is
spread accross 4 classes, if you take the switch user function in
BE into count we have 6 places to change.

So, I've got two questions:

1. Is the core team interested into the code we implemented (Extension)
    to perhaps integrate those changes into the core ?

2. Whats your opinion, wouldn`t it be nice to have the auth process
    for BE & FE, including the switch, stored in one place and not
    4 to 6 ? So we can get a central API for auth ?

regards

Chris