[TYPO3-dev] FLOW3 / TYPO3 5.0

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Thu Apr 29 15:42:43 CEST 2010

>> There are many of the V4 people you are talking about, who would
>> never accept any kind of pressure or deadlines just because "it's
>> all voluntary work and nobody paid for it"
>
> ...which is the opposite to v5, where people are paid for development
> (not all of them, of course).

Come on, Dmitry - you know there's a budget for V4 as well.

> Nevertheless we have deadlines in v4 and when Rms asks us, we
> generally try hard to fulfill deadlines.

Exactly, *when* RMs asks, you *try* ... - which
a) implies there is a RM setting deadlines
b) means that it might happen that you fail

Now you just have to face two simple facts:
1) The V5 RM never set a deadline, because he believes in another way of
managing a project.
2) V5 is huge beast compared to introducing some new features, refactoring
some classes or fixing bugs for V4, which already is a working system

So don't you think that it *might* be possible that with a small team it
could take a bit more for the release of a *completely rewritten* system
based on completely new technologies (at least in the PHP world), when it
even took the V4 team about 16 months just for the step from 4.2 to 4.3?

This is what I meant with "applying double standards"

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
Xing: http://contact.cybercraft.de
Twitter: http://twitter.com/bunnyfield