[TYPO3-dev] FLOW3 / TYPO3 5.0

Ries van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Thu Apr 29 14:41:47 CEST 2010

On Apr 29, 2010, at 7:10 AM, JoH asenau wrote:

>> there are enough people here in the list and did make responses that
>> have the right to say something. it' not all about direct donation in
>> terms of $$$. The V4 (core) people  really keep TYPO3 alive in terms
>> of submitting extensions, managing  the mailinglists, managing the
>> IRC
>> channel,
>> providing patches to core V4,  developing extensions for V4, patching
>> an releasing new versions of V4. All these people have a right to say
>> something
>> after all it's there investment into there future, if they have
>> stomach itches
>> about FLOW3 then they can say that.
>> If it wasn't for them, TYPO3 would have been dead.
>
> Well - but this has nothing to do with a deadline for the FLOW3 and/
> or V5
> project.

I was responding to your 'Only people who pay may complain'.

> There are many of the V4 people you are talking about, who would never
> accept any kind of pressure or deadlines just because "it's all
> voluntary
> work and nobody paid for it" - so you just have to wait or pay them or
> somebody else to do the job. Which is one of the reasons why there
> are still
> so many open bugs and patches that never got applied, which is true
> for
> major extensions as well.

The V4 versions seems to have a better release schedules nowdays,
with some deadlines including feature freezes and works fine, no
complains.
This is all 'pressure'. but it sounds like people are mistaken
pressure with forcing.
The fact that this thread is here is already a pressure and a good
indication
that people want to see something after 3.5 years of development.
Nothing
wrong with that!

The design of FLOW3 can go on and on and on and on and at
some point it's only fair that the community want to see some result,
we ARE a community and we trust that the people make something because
at some point we might depend on it. The current designers of FLOW3
also need to realize
that without the community, FLOW3 is really nothing and WE
will be it's first users. Without US (community) it will be much harder
for FLOW3 to gain momentum.

> There were even people who said, they don't want to be paid, because
> they
> don't want to be forced to do the job, but decide themselves when
> and how to
> do it. Which is absolutely OK because this is how most of the Open
> Source
> projects work.

Most open source projects I have seen are backed up by companies.
coordinating the effords.
Smaller projects are often then voluntary, but might gain momentum
later.

> But what is not OK is, when exactly those people try to put the
> pressure
> they would *never* accept for themselves on people *they* never
> paid. IMHO
> this means to apply double standards, which is just unfair,
> regardless of
> the merit one might have earned within the V4 project.

an active community that supports the product by means of responding
to mailinglists,
supplying extensions, answering questions, managing IRC and what not
may have there saying aswell and in the whole thread I didn't see
anybody
forcing the FLOW3 to put a release out, they are mere wishes and
expressing
there thoughts and feelings.