[TYPO3-dev] Protected function lookUpTranslation in latest realurl update

Simon Tuck stu at rtpartner.ch
Wed Apr 28 10:33:50 CEST 2010

Hi,
I have a request regarding the latest realurl update. Version 1.8+ has
defined it's methods protected, public or private.
I have a project which uses the previously public method
tx_realurl::lookUpTranslation. The reason for this is that the site
contains a directory of towns and places. For example a link like
www.domain.com/Zürich should be an alias for
www.domain.com/communities/zuerich.html. To achieve this without having
to define an exhaustive list of aliases in the realurl configuration a
script automatically checks for matching values and redirects to the
corresponding record detail on success.
This script uses the lookUpTranslation method. As a workaround I have
xclassed tx_realurl and created a wrapper method for lookUpTranslation,
ideally however I would like to be able to call lookUpTranslation directly.
Would it be possible to make this method public again? It seems to me
that it's very useful for checking and creating aliases on the fly.
Thanks,
Simon