[TYPO3-dev] Scheduler and Saving Task State

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Mon Apr 26 18:19:06 CEST 2010

Francois Suter schrieb am 23.04.2010 13:43:
> Hi,
>
>>> 2) store the values that you need to recover in the new system
>>> registry. This is very easy and is documented in the latest version of
>>> Core APIs. The Scheduler does this itself to save information about
>>> its latest run.
>>
>> this is a feature that is really unknown to most of the users. Would you
>> like to buzz about? Would be cool, and users are happy about knowing
>> this new technique.
>
> Yes, that's part of the things I wanted to write about on buzz, but
> somehow never find the time too. Last week we had a TUG meeting in
> Lausanne and I talked shortly about t3lib_pageRenderer. Another little
> hidden gem of 4.3.
>
> I'll try to do something. I just wish it weren't just you and me...

In my eyes *every* new feature in core is potentially "cool" and needs
to be properly promoted. The best time to do it is at commit time by the
commiter himself! Usually the commiter has a test-bed in place, can make
screenshots and write stuff about it. He usually has to document in
"Pending documentation" anyway.

Wiki would be a nice place, but it has to be organized (with categories)
and easily browseable. Each new feature could have a dedicated page with:

- description
- version ("introduced in TYPO3 v4.x")
- code samples
- screenshots

And then have a requirement for core developers commiting new features
to document them in that manner *additionally* to the "Pending
documentation".

Having that information in place we just need to point to the category
entry point in Wiki for users to see what is really new and how to use
all the fancy new stuff.

That also facilitates the work of article writers to later compose a
release article or to create a release NEWS.txt file (instead of the
boring task of going over the whole ChangeLog).

Cheers,
Ernesto